Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Waldorf Salad

We picked up our FFA Fruit last night. I have never seen Golden Delicious shaped like that. They are shaped like a pear and so crispy, nothing like local Golden's. I wonder if it is a new variety? The box said Golden Delicious and I took a look and asked Matthew are you sure?

I love apple salad with soup or chili or about anything.


4-5 apples sliced, apple slicer works great
almost a stalk of celery, I love celery
walnuts and/or pecans to your taste
enough mayonnaise or Miracle Whip to just wet it, not too heavy, maybe a cup or less.

Back pocket recipe, serves one, me for about two days. Lots of recipes on the web under apple salad or Waldorf salad.

Don't forget the lemon juice to keep the apples from turning brown but I usually don't have that problem!


Since we received our FFA fruit last night, it is time for apple salad.


"Waldorf salad [WAWL-dorf] Created at New York's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in 1896 not by a chef but by the maître d'hôtel, (dining room manager) Oscar Tschirky, the Waldorf salad was an instant success.


The original version of this salad contained only apples, celery and mayonnaise. Chopped walnuts later became an integral part of the dish. Waldorf salad is usually served on top of a bed of lettuce."

No comments:

Post a Comment