Thursday, December 3, 2009

Apples

Ohio apples are hard to beat. I made a trip down to A&M Orchard a few miles away and no one was there but me!

Their apples beat grocery store apples two to one.

I had the four brothers from that farm when I started teaching and they all earned the State FFA Degree. The oldest brother has run the farm for years now.

They raise red's, golden's, Jonathon, Fuji and Stayman Winesap among a few others.

Liam loves their apples and strawberries, remember that story this summer?

Family traditions are those special moments in life that bridge generations, and few traditions have greater impact than a family outing to the apple orchard.
We welcome your family to the orchards of Ohio:

Pick your own apples
Wagon rides into the orchard
Over 50 varieties of heirloom and traditional apples
watch the apples as they are pressed into sweet, delicious apple cider

From The Ohio Apples Website:




I see my friend Ron Irons is still at it:
Irons Fruit Farm Holiday Activities
Irons Fruit Farm
Make A Mini-Gingerbread House (Group Rate Available)
November 29-30
December 6-7, 13-14, 20-21
Hours: Saturday 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Sunday 12:00 pm - 5:00pm


Ron was an active member of the Warren County Fruit and Vegetable Growers when I was Extension Agent there.


Adae's asked how our crops did and I told them. He said his field of corn went 269 bu per acre. It is tiled on 25 ft centers, the best money they ever spent. They got it in the ground in April when most fields were too wet to plant. We had a few entries that yielded that much but not the whole field. My best whole field is 245 bu in 2004 and soybeans 81 bushels in 2006. I will take the lower average on more acres.

I beat him on beans though, his went 54, ours went 58 on lots of acres. Farmers like a little friendly competition.

Enjoy an apple today and if you live in Ohio, make sure it is grown there.


Ed


No comments:

Post a Comment