Monday, December 28, 2009


I agree with what Maurie Loomans had to say yesterday in the Cincinnati Sunday Enquirer.


"As Christmas approaches, the holiday does not make it better for those who are facing unemployment for the first time. It is a fearful time.


For instance: Will I be able to keep my house? How can I have health insurance? Will my child be able to go to college?


However, this is not the only time this country has faced this problem. Consider the Great Depression. In his first inaugural address in March of 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt said:
"This is pre-eminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today. This great nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.


"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."


Seventy-six years later we face a similar situation. In my judgment, fear has reached pandemic proportions in 2009. So far I have heard nothing from the White House that either alleviates fear or provides reasonable hope.


The question is whether the message of Christmas is pertinent to this problem. I believe it does.
The biblical story found in Luke as said to the shepherds is, "But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.' Then a multitude of angels came and said, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.' "


And later Jesus in his ministry says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." When put together, it appears that God's peace is an antidote for fear.


President Roosevelt goes on to say: "More important, a host of unemployed citizens face the grim problem of existence and an equally great number toil with little return. Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities of the moment."


My hope is that the current administration will take realistic actions that will create good jobs, and that churches across this country will help people turn fear into peace."

3 comments:

  1. Working class folks don't seem real optimistic. I asked to old folks if they thought the government was corrupt the 1930's. They said the didn't think so. I asked them what they thought about today and I didn't get a good answer. A lot of head shaking and a speech about working together.
    I suspect we are screwed...
    I had an uncle who left Germany in the 1930's. I still remember his rants when I was a kid.
    Not really sure what to do about it though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading a lot about the current state of our nation and that only some 40% believe or trust in our government at this point.

    There sure seems to be a lot of interest off shore asset protection and getting a secoend citizenship or passport from another country. The "rich" (what ever that is anymore) are racing to get their assets out of the country it appears. And by rich I dont mean the Gates of the country, but the guy next door who is just above middle class income.

    Kind of scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one does! We are all three part of that imported aggrarian society that have been struggling to see how we fit in.

    I do think we can work through this if we try to work together but it seems so much bits and pieces and here and there.

    Thanks both for your comments, would love to see more from others, too!

    Ed

    ReplyDelete