Thursday, December 24, 2009

Dirty American Farmer

I just received this from my friend Joe in North Carolina and wanted to share it with you.

I guess I am just a dirty American farmer. How soon we have forgotten our past.
Dirty American Farmer

...one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses. Luke 12:15

Recommended Reading James 2:1-9

In the late 1700s, the manager of Baltimore's largest hotel refused lodging to a man dressed like a farmer because he was afraid the man's humble appearance would shame his establishment. So the man left. Later, the innkeeper discovered that he had turned away none other than Thomas Jefferson! He immediately sent a note to Jefferson asking him to return to the hotel and be his guest, to which Jefferson replied, "I have already engaged a room. I value his good intentions highly but if he has no place for a dirty American farmer, he has none for the Vice President of the United States."

We should never disregard the value or worth of those who have little in this world or show partiality to those who have much. The Creator of the Universe was born into a family that was poor in the eyes of society, but God found them worthy to raise His own Son.

Let us show the love of Christ to all without partiality because oftentimes it is those with little to speak of in this world who have much stored up in heaven.
Read-Thru-the-Bible Revelation 21:1-22:21

How blessed can I be? Like Thomas Jefferson? He and his peers gave all for this country and ended up dirt poor. Those early Americans gave everything, their lives, their most prized possessions just so you and I can enjoy this Christmas Eve in this "free country."
I would really like to talk to Thomas, Ben Franklin, John Adams, Abraham Lincoln and a host of hosts.
Thanks Joe, that really fit into my thinking this morning on this Blessed Christmas Eve.


Ed Winkle

No comments:

Post a Comment