Sunday, January 3, 2010

Eight Decades


One of the kids was teasing another one she is in her fifth decade. No I'm not, she blurted. Her brother piped in and said yes you are, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's. Oh my god she said! Then she looked at me and said you must be in your eighth!


It's all how you count the years. I count mine as blessed.


Yes we have our fears like everyone else but we paid our dues, learned our lessons and feel so blessed.


Took me 55 years to farm full time! You think that isn't an accomplishment? I just revel in it.


What would you do with eight decades or have you already done it?


I would farm, each and every day. I would love my family and do everything in my power to make enough money to make that happen.


But it really isn't about money. It's about feelings.


You have a good feeling doing what you like. It's just drudgery when aren't doing what you like. I often wondered why I was a teacher because so much of it was just drudgery when I could be out on a tractor doing what I loved.


Somehow I learned how to instill that in others. They, the students and their parents still thank me for it. Years of successful teaching or anything just rewards you with more years.


I am just considered as the old ag teacher now with a big family and a nice farm for years of hard work. It's like I really paid my dues!


I am just as fearful as tomorrow as you are but if I let that override me, it is just wasted time.


I don't have time to waste, do you?


Ed

1 comment: