Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wet


The rain is here and it looks like we could break the record for the wettest year of 1990. I remember those years clearly when I farmed even wetter ground than I do now and waiting and waiting and waiting to notill with a coulter. Getting rid of the coulter and adapthing the Martin Till system took care of that.

That record is about 56.5 inches of rainfall and we are over 55 inches total so far. And, we have two months left in the year so I have little doubt we will break the record.

It's a shame too, as local farmers were hitting it hard combining those soybeans last night until too many raindrops fell. We lack a few first crop soybeans and all of the double crop soybeans to finish before even starting corn.

I give thanks we have the crop we do and just hope we can get it all out. It's going to be a long fall, just as we expected.

I think we will go down for the lowest wheat acreage planted just like I expected, too. I saw 3 farms planting a little within 20 miles of here. That's not very much. I love wheat in my rotation but I won't be planting any this year, the first time in many years.

Today is the first day of the National FFA Convention and I will be watching it on TV again this year. I would love to go but I just have too much to do here even with the rain. Congratulations to Cody Adams, National Finalist in Oil Seed or Soybean Production, I hope you win!

Entrepreneur extrordinaire Carl Lindner passed away yesterday. He left a positive mark on Cincinnati when he sought to increase his dairy farm profits and started United Dairy Farmers, a favorite place for dairy products yet today. They dip a lot of ice cream every year.

My young friend Mike called from New York as he is enroute of picking up a 1965 Broadway semi tractor for another guy who bought it online. Mike was cutting soybeans too last night when we all got rained out so we were sharing yields and weed stories.

Those Liberty Link soybeans kept our weed issues to nothing again this year.

Have a great day and stay dry.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment