Monday, October 10, 2011

Soybean Yields


Soybean yields are coming out all over the board here but generally very good. My question today is the new RR2Yield varieties really that much better? I haven't seen the advantage the past two years but they are winning some plots.

One of our agronomists thinks the new Vistive RR2Yields are enough better to plant the whole farm to them and never look back. I am much more sceptical.

I haven't seen the advantage of RR2's yet over RR1's but maybe they are here. I do admit that since most of the research money has been poured into improving RR2's since the patent is going off RR1's they should be better and could be in some situations. I am not sure they would be in all situations.

I think it really depends on your farm and your management. I have good friends that are producing 100 bushel soybeans with older non GMO soybean varieties. Some won't even plant Round Up Ready or Liberty Link beans because of the tech fee or the unknown of what genetically modified seeds and chemicals do to your soil.

Could they improve yields with the latest genetics? I don't know, who really cares about 2 more bushels if you can grow 100 when most of the country is stuck around 40 bushels.

I am not satisfied with 40 bushels and the crop is a failure to me if I produce them unless they are double crop beans planted in July. My yield goal is 80 bushels and we have seen yields from 45 to over 70 so far this year. With the heat we had I don't think that is too bad.

If Kip Cullers can produce 160 bushels under irrigation I think the potential is well over 200 bushels in the seed, maybe over 300 bushels. We just haven't learned how to tap that potential.

If other farmers can grow 100 bushels with just rain I know we can all do a lot better than 40. Someone is going to have to convince me that the new genetics are worth the investment when I am still trying to learn how to maximize soybean yield with older genetics. I don't see the advantage.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment