Friday, October 7, 2011

Corn


The market was bidding for more corn acres this year but Mother Nature didn't cooperate. It was too late and too wet for farmers to plant as much corn as they wanted to in many parts of the country, at least that was true here. Still, many planted full season hybrids the first week of June when they could take Preventive Planting or plant beans. Most planted beans.

I was sitting in the cab of a farmer in Iowa combining beans with 3 ethanol plants in the horizon. I asked why he didn't plant more corn and he said I grow good soybeans so I can raise good corn. That is exactly what he does.

The yield monitor was sitting on 75 bushels in 30 inch rows, like my other friends in Iowa although most are on 15 inch rows.

Now that corn is under $6 and beans are under $11, it is easy to play "what if." What if I had planted more corn or sold more beans? Moderate yield corn easily out profits excellent soybean yields.

The yields are excellent in many places, too, I think our first farm will come out near 80 bu but I won't have the actual bushels for awhile.

Right now I have to figure out how to get a load of cereal rye from Bryan Ohio to Martinsville. Frieght on it is about $3 per mile for the 164 mile trip.

The weather is gorgeous, hope you have a great weekend.

Ed

2 comments:

  1. I spend a lot of time on other people's farms. I plant for them and bale and chop silage and help haul stuff.
    There are those who grow by acquiring more land and more debt and following the high input, high return theory espoused by the paid fertilizer company consultants and bankers and then there are a couple other farmers who just steadily grow.
    The things they have in common are soil health and fertility concerns and planning for future crops.
    If it is time for lime and a clover rotation you do it, even if clover prices are not real good. It all pays off a few years down the road.
    It is pretty hard to do on marginal ground but I've watched in awe as some pretty run down ground be made productive.
    I'm not saying I do it...I'm saying I know the theory...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it weren't for notill, I wouldn't be farming. The challenge of notill and its benefits to me made in stay with it, improve it and spread it on more acres because it is profitable to do so. I love watching my own crop grow and go to market and to the bank while improving my soil. Soil and tissue testing helps me maximize my plant growth with my fertilizer dollar.

    I always respect and appreciate your comments.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete