Thursday, November 12, 2009

Short rows got shorter


Thanks to a neighbor the short rows got shorter last night. We finished soybeans after the sun went down.

That old wet farm yielded pretty well, good thing we paid attention to the nutrient needs. That is the farm where the wife said Ed you have the best crop here we have ever seen.

All of the non GMO soybeans got trucked to the Ohio River market. Those things are a challenge, I cleaned up some weeds, brought out new ones and thinking of going all Liberty Link soybeans next year.

Now we can concentrate on the last 240 acres of corn going into our home bin system. What I thought was impossible a month ago has become realty. Our poorest farms are our best and our best are not quite that good!

I know we are fortunate compared to farmers out west who are struggling with their harvest. We struggled too, maybe not as much. I am thankful for that.

I am already picturing in my head the crops in each field next year. My soil tests and tissue tests are invaluable to me to make the best decision.

The market seems to want corn, soybean and wheat. So do I follow the market or stay in rotation? I am in a good position to flex acres. I could kill the wheat and go to corn or beans if the market wants them that badly. There are not near as many wheat fields in Ohio though this year so I imagine the wheat fields will stay in wheat.

Rotation of crops and chemicals as done well for me. The soils just keep getting better and better.

The world oilseed shortage makes me lean toward soybeans but the little bit of soft red winter wheat makes me favor it on eroded hillsides.

I always need a field of corn or two. If I had the capacity I would plant the whole thing to corn. I love growing corn but we are on the margins of the great corn belt and it costs so much money to plant corn. Harvesting and hauling all that corn this year has been a good challenge.

This year I had one field of corn by my house. I could have made more money in soybeans but I do love walking and learning in corn fields. Paul Butler called me the Corn Whisperer until he heard me speak, now he calls me the Corn Yellar.

I don't know what I will do yet but I know I can flex my acres into another crop in no time.

Farmers need to be adjustable and flexible.
Honey I do know we need a grain leg and a new bin, please don't shoot me yet.

Ed Winkle

No comments:

Post a Comment