Monday, August 17, 2009

Iowa


We are in my favorite state, Iowa. I spent the day with my mentors Keith and Paul and his brothers.

I saw some tremendous corn and soybeans. Soybeans that looked like Christmas trees with 72 pods per main branch! Keith is into soil health and plant hormones. He showed me my Ohio non GMO soybeans that look fantastic. He showed me roots on non GMO corn after corn with no insectide with tremendous roots. It was a really enlightening visit.

One of my favorite movies is Field of Dreams. If you build it, they will come. Go the Distance. If you build your soil, the yields will come. That takes some work!

Paul and Kevin and Ken showed me all kinds of machinery inventions and adaptations that can make money on my farm and other farmers farms. The anhydrous tool bar is impressive. The chopper modifications will really help spread the residue on our combine. There are so many things I have to go write them down right now before I forget. I should have taped the whole session. Maybe my 40 pictures will trigger my memory!

We had a great dinner at the Machine Shed Restaurant, what a meal, as usual! The Iowa State Fair is going on too and we have never been there. I will be able to take it off my bucket list.

The weather was nice today, unlike the east coast where it is steaming.

Hope you are staying cool!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment