Monday, December 20, 2010

Shopping


I made it through another birth day. I have made it through 61 of them. I had a very trouble free day. Those are really nice to have.

We had breakfast, the grandchildren left and we just sat around doing much of nothing and discussing what I wanted to do for my birthday. Honestly dear it is Sunday and I don't want to do one darn thing.

I rarely want to do anything out in public because I feel I am out there enough. I didn't feel like laying around the house day, though. I felt like getting out so I offered to go Christmas shopping on the last Sunday before Christmas!

Fool! You know I am in my basic happy, benevolent mood when I offer to do something that dumb. But I had items I wanted to compare and I know LuAnn has things on her list and she shops for a huge family. It was the least I could do, right?

We would buy it all online for convenience and deals but you have to see some of the stuff and really study it. Is it worth bringing home?

Kohl's checkout lines were all 30 people deep and Sear's was desert wasteland. Someone said Penny's has bedbugs so no one will go near it now.

Everything I wanted to buy, it was the last one. Was that coincidence or are they holding out on us as a sales tactic? I didn't have time to figure that out.

But I did have time to figure that wow, our buying habits brought on by television, corporate greed and our insatiable desire to be better has more stuff in a Mall than anyone could ever survive on. There is little food or water, just stuff. Stuff as far as you can see. 100 semi loads of stuff here and 1000 semi loads of stuff right there!

I probably produced 100 semi loads of grain this year. Is this only enough to feed 155 people? One farmer feeds 155 people and I am one farmer. Something is way off on these conversions or our system is pretty inefficient. That doesn't make sense.

The good news is I survived and learned a lot about current day shopping yesterday. End story is we are wasteful and a consumer society that is inefficient and doesn't make sense.

And John Stossel thinks ethanol is a waste? Look at our shopping or buying habits. No wonder people go hungry.

Ed



o

1 comment:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday Ed ! You are correct- Merry Christmas is the true reason for the season !

    ReplyDelete