Monday, May 7, 2012

Why Is Tuition So Expensive?

K-12 and college tuition continues to increase while the economy struggles to support it. $225 was a huge amount of money when I attended Ohio State but that won't even buy a good textbook, now.

Since I mentioned some statistics in a recent blog, I have been thinking, "Why is tuition so expensive?" Are teachers overpaid? Many think so but many always did. It's not as easy as it looks. In my experience, I never felt was paid as much as other professions with my skill but that was just me. College professors often don't make that much either.

Blogger Sue has a good report on this. Read her perspective here.

Tenured college salaries were not that overly high when I was an assistant professor at Ohio State. Salaries were frozen and I made $10,000 more going back to the high school classroom.

I think colleges and universities have to "spend beyond their means" to get the press and presence to stay in the limelight and attract new students. I am sure there some who do not and I would like to hear about them.

I have been asked to teach at local colleges but the pay wasn't worth the hassle for me. I can make more raising soybeans.

College costs have put a non-saving country in more debt. It shocked me to see seniors owe over a billion in college loans and were mad their SS benefits pay their debt before they could receive benefits.

A program said recently the average debt was $44,000 per student and the parents borrowed another $16,000 or so on top of that for a total of $60,000 per students.

Thankfully none of our children owe that and the loans are about all paid off now.

If you are a veteran, there are many ways to get help for training but even some of these fine people are not assisted enough. The Aurora foundation is one of many groups who can help.

Why is tuition so expensive? There are many reasons and some of them may not seem "educational" oriented enough to those paying tuition.

I can't argue with that.

You may have to work in a "night shop" or quit buying there to support your educational goals.

Ed

1 comment:

  1. The HSC CoWorks is a premium HSC tuition service providing regular face to face tuition, weekend study sessions, HSC Study Bootcamps and Mock Trial Exams to students living in Mosman and Bondi Junction and students living in surrounding areas.

    ReplyDelete