Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Leadership Clinton


Yesterday LuAnn had the high honor of being asked to host the annual Leadership Clinton "Meals in Fields" meeting for 300 people at our farm in August. We prayed about it last night and we have to turn down the offer.

We have worked hard together to make this place somewhere people would want to visit. The first year I had guests from all over the country walking our plots. We have hosted barn tours, parties and guests from all over the world. We are very honored. We just can't quite pull this off without getting stressed and derailing our current program.

We have children and grandchildren to tend to, a new grandchild in July, and committments throughout the summer. I judge several county fairs, scout crops all summer and visit field days. I have my own crop to tend to and it has been a rough start on that deal.

This reading puts it in perspective for me;
"It is very difficult for me to come to terms with my spiritual illness because of my great pride, disguised by my material successes and my intellectual power. Intelligence is not incompatible with humility, provided I place humility first. To seek prestige and wealth is the ultimate goal for many in the modern world. To be fashionable and to seem better than I really am is a spiritual illness.

To recognize and to admit my weaknesses is the beginning of good spiritual health. It is a sign of spiritual health to be able to ask God every day to enlighten me, to recognize His will, and to have the strength to execute it. My spiritual health is excellent when I realize that the better I get, the more I discover how much help I need from others."

If I try to do too much, this goes you know where. If we both try to do too much it really goes you know where and this is a team effort and we have to be on the same page.

Sorry, Leadership Clinton, but we cannot accomodate you this year. We are so very highly honored you would ask. Maybe next year?

There is lots of good topics that caught my eye on NewAgTalk. This pythium seedling blight in corn across the country is bigger than many people know or understand. It is linked to the problems we have talked about in the past on this blog. There is lack of oxygen in the soil and our current programs for growing corn do not address this issue. All the chemicals in the world won't fix sick corn from lack of oxygen. Tile along is not the answer either but it helps.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment