Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hugs


Mother's Day is a good time to talk about hugs. Some people give them freely and others don't. My friends are pretty much a big group of huggers. Thankfully my family is too.

I wasn't raised with hugs and kisses and I love you but I could feel it. Touch is an important sense for me. It gives me a lot of security. When I am not in a hugging mood I am probably not in a very good mood for me.

Dad rolled around with us when we were little and that was better than a hug. I know I hugged my kids alot and still do. That sense of closeness is imprortant to me, especially in this crazy world we live in.

I always thought days other than Christmas and Easter were made up holidays to sell greeting cards. They do mean more to me now in my older years as every minute is more valuable to me then when I was younger and thought I didn't have time for such nonsense.

Father's Day was always awkward to me because I thought every day was Father's Day. I respected my dad every day and wanted my kids to feel the same way about me. I bet some mom's are the same way, this is just another day and every day is mother's day. It's nice to get some special recognition, though.

So here's to hugs on Mother's Day. Give someone you love a great big hug. That means more to me than about anything else today and I hope it does for you, too.

Flowers and candy and dinners and such are nice but there is nothing than a sincere hug. It shows openess and feelings we take for granted.

Even Sable likes hugs but she would rather roll around with me like a kid.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment