Monday, May 11, 2009

I got behind

I see how difficult it is too keep this going! I missed a few days, there isn't enough hours in the day right now.

I see my friend Eric in Kansas is trying to quit chewing tobacco. I commend him for that. Some pretty powerful drugs are too easy to purchase like tobacco.

I got to see Mark's house. He moved only 5 miles away in the country. That house is right across the road from the farm we bid on a few years ago. Good thing we waited for this one. It should make a fine place for him and his wife and hopefully more grandkids some day.

The family worked for DHL and lost their job and their house. It is nearly new but had a lot of damage so he was able to pick it up for really good price.

Eric has a Latin saying under his signature. Let's see if this copies here:


What does the phrase uva uvam vivendo varia fit mean?

The Latin phrase that appears on the Hat Creek Cattle Company sign in "Lonesome Dove" is a garbled corruption, and there's no direct translation. It derives from the scholia to Juvenal 2.81 which cites the proverb "uva uvam videndo varia fit" This means something like "a grape changes color [i.e., ripens] when it sees [another] grape"

Novelist Larry McMurtry probably intentionally misused the Latin, perhaps to make a point about Augustus McCrae's tenuous understanding of the language.

From there, any number of interpretations have arisen to explain why McMurtry chose to communicate that particular idea. Probably the soundest theory is that the phrase serves as a metaphor for the group's journey, as many of the story's characters go through a process of personal maturation and development. Much like grapes ripen in the presence of others.

Lots of people really got into the Lonesome Dove series.

I am behind on my reading and my ag TV shows.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment