Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Horrible, Terrible, Really Bad Night

We took two grand daughters to see Alexander's Horrible, Terrible, Really Bad Day.  It is a humorous look at a young boy trying to get his family to see what he is going through.  It made us all laugh but I think it reminded us how important it is to help each other.

I asked LuAnn if she slept well last night, she has for a week.  Oh no, she said, she had a horrible, terrible, really bad night!   Don't you hate it when you can't sleep?

I think I slept poorly for 60 years until my body finally wore out or I learned how to try and turn my troubles over to God.  It's not perfect, but I have slept better the last five years than I did the 60 years before it. 

I was always trying to figure out how to make things turn out the way I thought they should.  It turns out the best way I can do that is to understand how little control I really have.  I need to just do what I can do and not worry about the outcome.  I need to accept things as they are and give thanks for how great things really are compared to so many other people.

The world is a beautiful but scary place.  In grandpa's day it was WW I and the Great Depression, in Dad's day it was WW II.  Now it's ISIS and Ebola.  There is always some bad thing out of control.

Until it affects me, there is little I can do but keep doing the next right thing.  That takes some effort on my part but it is well rewarded when I do.

Here is hoping for a wonderful, beautiful really good night.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment