Saturday, August 3, 2013

Apex

Our oldest child Matt and I did our professional development scouting trip yesterday like we did a year ago.  We got to look over my field of Apex soybeans that I got from Keith Schlapkohl in Stockton, Iowa.  We were happy to find clusters similar to what I found in Keith's fields last August.

Matt said a year ago everything we scouted had pods and yesterday we only found 2 fields in the three counties we scouted within 25 miles of where I live.  Matt thought my PH-4389N yellow hilum soybeans bound for Asian shipment was every bit as good as the Apex and probably better.  They have large clusters of pods too.  I asked how much rain do we need to fill those clusters?  We thought the adage of an inch of rain a week was probably the answer.

The point is that the Apex high yield semi dwarf system probably has good application yet today.  It was developed by Dr. Richard Cooper at OARDC a long time ago.  Dr. Schillinger's eMerge soybean program is probably as good and the yellow hilum has a higher premium this year. There are many good links like this one if you dig a little.  The key is how you raise them.  I have followed the steps in this guide as closely as I can.

We have talked about high yield soybeans on this blog.  Soil, drainage, fertility, and pest control are all key to high yield soybeans.  The seed is part of that program, too.  Apex has the RPS-1K gene for phytopthora but we found a few plants in the bottom we thought had succumbed to the disease.  Not a lot, but we did find a few.

The Porter bean which is Dr. Schillinger's eMerge 389 bean likes this weather.  I have scouted probably 1000 acres or more destined for Asia and they look as good as any other non GMO or GMO variety this year.  They are liking the moisture we are receiving this year.  Mine are heavily podding and I used my brain and got my sprays and fertilizers on at the right time.  I must say they look awesome.

I know the struggles and peril's of identity preserved seeds but I am willing to work for the premium because I don't want glyphosate or glufosinate in my soil.  Glufosinate still works here but glyphosate does not.  The cleanest fields we saw were Liberty Link on a farm south of Hillsboro.  He basically had NO weeds  Thanks, Matt, for showing me those.

Which soybean is the highest yielding on your farm and in your area?  I am finding I can grow any soybean adapted to my region if I just treat them right.

Ed Winkle




3 comments:

  1. I like the whole package I get from Wilcross. There in town, buy my beans back right there at a premium. They are willing to plant a plot on me, they have received samples of products to try and asked if I would be willing to try them.

    They will let there growers know when a diease or bug is in the area so you can be on high alert. They don't sell incecticides or fungicides other then seed treatments like some coops....

    http://www.willcrossseed.com/soybean-varieties.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hoping for an update on your apex soys. Have they been able to get much height to them? Even if they haven't they can be super. If your other bean varieties lodge those apex beans should come out like roses. With the favorable moisture, I think that might be the case.

    David Seck

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like normal soybeans! Well, really, my semi dwarf are some of the tallest beans I've walked! Keith Schlapkohl, Jeff Littrell and John Haggard have taught me a lot about healthy soybeans!

    The key thing I did was heavy application of calcium, 500 lbs fertilizer according to soil test and planting date. Mother Nature took care of the rest.

    Ed Winkle

    ReplyDelete