Friday, December 7, 2012

Wet Spell

It looks like my trips to the fields are over for this year.  The weatherman is calling for a wet spell that has officially set in this morning.

I was able to get another big truckload of wood out of my log pile though and only have a truck or two left in that pile.  It felt good to get another load out in this unseasonably dry fall.  With the half inch or so of rain we have had, I was able to get in and out without cutting much of a track.

Few people prefer wet weather to dry but I imagine most farmers welcome this expected rain to recharge our soils.  I had posted a link of how dry it is in the plains and how many farmers wonder if their wheat will make it.

I did notice all of my rye was coming up on that farm so we have had enough moisture to get everything out of the ground this fall.  Every acre was planted back to something and it is all up.  That's a pretty good feeling too.

While I was doing that, Steve and his crew got all of the cement pads poured under the house.  In a week or so, they will be able to level the front room floor.  Maybe we can start tackling the remodeling job of our master bedroom bathroom after that.  I still can't picture that old tub going out the window but sawed in half I guess it will.

Until we get the floor fixed, we are sticking with our Humility Tree.  That is the small Christmas tree LuAnn always decorates for our bedroom that she moved it to the living room until we see if we can get the floor repaired where our tree normally sits.  I don't know if the grand kids will know the difference as long as they get some presents!

Maybe we will stop at Grant's Farm tomorrow and see what Danny has as far as balled and burlap trees that could be planted after Christmas.  Click on the link and give him a Like for me!  I can never repay what the man did for me and the students at Clermont Northeastern.

Yesterday was the Feast of Saint Nicholas and the Advent means more to us than the tree.

If you are getting some needed moisture, enjoy the wet spell.  I will try but it's the darkest time of the year.  We do need dreary days to make a crop with the sunny days, too.

Ed

4 comments:

  1. Oh don't saw that bathtub if you can. Even if you don't have livestock, it can still make the basis of a great outdoors bathhouse for your grand kids.
    Like a Native American sauna or sweat house under a tepee of old blankets with a hearth in the middle where you bring the hot stones from the fireplace outside. Then when you've sweat it off, you jump into the cold water of the bathtub...

    Did that in my teens, except that we didn't have a bathtub but a small brook just deep enough to swim around. It happened to be the Seine river (yep, the Parisian one), but very near its source in Burgundy.

    By the way, I don't know about your musical tastes, but The Smashing Pumpkins' album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" has just been remastered. I forgot how great it was. Not difficult since I never listened to it before, only a few hit songs here and there. Got it earlier this week for my 50th b-day. The cheap bastards, they got me the $17 album, not the $134 Deluxe Edition! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $17 album, LOL. Better be thankful you got anything Chimel!

    Not sure we can get the whole tub out the window but I have time to work on that. It's a big window and it might work.

    Those are some great ideas.

    Thanks,

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I am thankful, it's a double album, and it has many great songs I never heard before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you as a rule write just for this blog or you do this for some other online portals?

    ReplyDelete