Sunday, December 23, 2012

Farm Pics

"Farm pics" or pictures of farms and farmers working are becoming more and more popular on the Internet.  This is in do part to the popularity of NewAgTalk and the picture posting ability there.  The site was recently upgraded and now I see more farmers posting pictures this week.

Here is one posting of pictures of my friend Scott in North Central and Northeastern Ohio.  Scott is a younger, aggressive young farmer who knows what he is doing.  He is one of the better hay producers in Ohio.  Like me, he has found the value in cover crops and you can see his rye in his pictures.

I used to post a lot of pictures there but got out of the habit.  It takes a lot of steps to take the right sized picture to post or resize it and post it to AgTalk.  It still baffles probably half the readers who do have pictures to share.  Someones they will email them to a friend and they will post it for them.

MicroSoft used to ask me if I wanted to make my pictures smaller when emailing but I lost that function in one of their upgrades.  I could probably put that back if I look hard enough but I've asked and no one has shown me how to do it yet.

I did find an older post I really liked the other day when we were talking about radishes and radishes planted with wheat.  I accidentally did that the fall of 08 I believe it was when my help forget to clean out the radishes I had been sowing in the bottom of the drill and loaded the drill with wheat seed.  I ended up with 5 acres of wheat with radishes sprinkled across them.

I watched the radishes grow and die but that wheat looked healthier from the start.  I took it to yield and the radish patch made 12 bushels more than the rest of the field and that has never been my highest yielding part of that field in 9 years.  I also had it sweet corn the first year we planted notill corn here in 2004 so for other than 2 treatments, it's always been the same on crop, herbicide and fertilizer.

I got to noticing that patch is shining again this fall.  That is some of the best looking wheat in the entire field.  I am pretty sure I affected the biology of that area and I don't just how much.

Do you post farm pictures?  Do you email them?  Do you have a link to your favorites?

Thanks,

Ed Winkle

3 comments:

  1. Ed , yes I am surprised the internet has not collapsed under the weight of pictures I have posted to forums over the years. Scans of my old ads often show up. I've been participating in a photo posting and story telling thread over on red power for a few years now.
    Since the latest upgrade the new agtalk forum will accept much bigger photos and it is no problem to post there. Much easier than it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got hooked to Red Power or YTMag where some Olivers hide out, Ralph. Since I was part of the team that started AgTalk, I spent my time there. Now it is the biggest and biggest isn't always best.

    I will have to look up red power again, I need to drop a couple of red tractors off to a grandson who is 6 years old today. He's the one that told me, "I have to go to that Kindergarten Registration tonight" instead of going to Georgetown to show off his prized Cub Farmall sitting there!

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see why they are posting all the pictures on Machinery Talk! I just uploaded a 1 MB picture and it came out 47 kb! The new software is resizing the pics!

    ReplyDelete