Monday, December 24, 2012

How I Write My Blog

Marc and others have asked how do I do this?  How do I write my blog?  That's a good question and I guess you would have to know me and what I've written in four short years to have a clue how I do this.

Basically I tell stories of what I experience in life.  I just told my oldest grandson how this all started when dad moved us all to Stoney Hollow Road near New Hope, known as No Hope in 1955.  I started the first grade there and one of the first days I was there the big boys in our 8 grade one room school took chocolate milk and threw it on the wall.  When the principal came over, they pointed to me and said he did it.

Liam asked if I was bullied.  Oh, was I ever bullied and others have tried to do that do me all my life but I never let them get to me.  I got my first grade card and I failed reading!  I remember my mother being so angry she pulled me by the ear and took me to that school.  She informed my teacher, Mrs. McKinley that I would learn to read and go to the top of my class!

My whole life has been that way, high expectations.  My reading and writing improved every year but high school was a pivotal point.  My teachers expected a lot from me and I delivered, best I could.  My English and Science got me through Ohio State but my higher math nearly let me down.

My dad was a great story teller and I am sure his dad was, too.  I learned 3 valuable lessons from my grandpa and hope to instill a few in my grandchildren  Can anyone tell what those 3 things are?  I am pretty sure I wrote them here a long time ago.  I always liked good stories.  That is why Laura Ingalls is listed in my blog bio as my favorite author.  Little House on the Prairie summarized my life in a very interesting story.

So, you have to be able to write good English.  I am not great but I try.  Effort is a huge part of writing.  I think you have to have a good imagination and I have a vivid one.  You must be able to write decent grammar in good paragraphs.  That was beat into my head over 12 years and has served me well.  College just adds the information to specialize in a career.  All of my education is invaluable to me.  That is why teachers are so important.  Who was the most important teacher in your life?  I would have to answer Mrs. Alexander in 4th grade but every one of them had impact on me, good and bad.

I have been blessed with a wonderful life to talk about, full of wonderful people.  Both are keys, learning to write in a wonderful life, full of joy, challenges and expectations.  Grading all those papers really honed my skills.  Over 31 years, I wonder how many papers I graded and how many articles I wrote?  It all started with my Public School K-12 Education.  It did me well.

These are the essentials and I know many people have them but just aren't interested in writing a blog.  If we were all writers, who would read all of this?  Having something to talk about every day is a whole 'nother arena.  We will discuss that in a future blog.

LuAnn started this with a challenge almost 4 years ago to the day.  I wonder when that will end?

Merry Christmas,

Ed Winkle

6 comments:

  1. I rather suck at writing, although I started writing a few short stories when I was 10 or so. I guess I read too much ancient literature and my style still wears traces of it. Quite the opposite of my goal, which was to follow the advice of Georges Clemenceau (AKA the "Tiger") to the journalists of L'Aurore when he was chief editor: "Write short sentences: a subject, a verb, a direct object. If you need an adjective, come check with me." The same guy who also said: "Give me 40 assholes and I'll build you a French Academy." ;)

    Still, my vanity and I are planning on writing a blog in some time. Well, not a blog of my life really, but rather some accounts of the life I shared with others, my own being a bit boring, and maybe some advice to the young, since I am reaching the advanced age when people are supposed to be pretenti..., I mean, wise.

    I am crying, but it's not the emotion, it's the stuffed jalapeño pepper. I made 4 different types of hot pepper stuffed with cream cheese today, in preparation for tomorrow, but they were much hotter than I remember. My tongue is still burning. I'll bake only the Anaheim tomorrow, and a few jalapeños for the daring crowd. I will halve them and grill them with shredded cheese on top of the cream cheese. Would you believe peppers are only 11 cents each? I bought 2 dozens of both, and a few others. This will be the appetizer tomorrow, served with kir apéritif (white wine and a few drops of blackcurrant liquor). Main dish will be a hickory smoked butt ham with my own rub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make me cry, too. Peppers are more like 3 for $2 here. You make me hunger for our Jalepeno poppers. We had a good time with them last year.

    I think you are a good writer, you just need more practice if what you write doesn't please you. Try reading it aloud or speak what you write. I should have added I write like I speak generally. I just write out what I would say.

    Everyone needs to tell their story or someone close should tell it for them. That is why I like talking about my dad and my grandpa, what little I know about him.

    I don't know why any of you read my blog but I do like it! I learn so much from the discourse. You all make me expand my world and think out of the box. I am a very curious person. I like that.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, that picture must be from a couple years back, right? Just ribbin' ya!

    Whatever your motivation, I admire you for keeping at it. As much as I like your current farming posts, it's your "life experiences" posts that I find the most interesting.

    Merry Christmas to you and LuAnn!

    -Orin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope You and Your Family have a Very Merry Christmas and a Wondrous New Year.
    I enjoy reading your blog. It follows like you are talking. I read that better than I can listen most times. That being wrote, keep up the good work.

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bobby and Orin. That's my secret, I write like I talk. I am full of thanksgiving and food at Christmas, can't imagine what I will type tonight but I usually think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Orin, but that artilce is only 5 years old! I guess it' closer to 6.

    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-02-10-farmer-forums_x.htm

    ReplyDelete