Sunday, December 30, 2012

Holy Family

Did you ever meet a successful person who didn't come from a good family?  You can cite many examples of people who did good from very difficult backgrounds.  This week, this Advent Season I have come to realize the power and importance of the family.  Our example starts with the Holy Family.

The Holy Family is Joseph, Mary, and Jesus.  Can you fathom being the father of the Son of God, the Son of Man?  I have tried to understand it but it's pretty much not comprehendible.  It's a Mystery.  It is such a great example, I try to imitate it just a tiny bit in my daily life.  I have 3 wonderful step children and they have 5 beautiful children between them who count me as grandpa!  If that's not a miracle, just call it a mystery!

It's hard to be "successful" because we don't even agree on what success is.  The older I get the more I see that success is measured in joy and love and not in farms and tractors.  The love I've felt this past month overwhelms the value of all of the articles God has given me dominion over.  I love to take care of his land and to take care of my family but the family comes first.

He gave us seasons so we can do each plant, tend, harvest, and enjoy.  This is the joy season.  Yesterday there were 2 pots of chili on the woodstove while kids and grandkids enjoyed each other's company on or behind the snowmobile.  That gives me great joy.  How many kids and grandkids even have that opportunity?  They don't take it lightly so they give us great joy in return.

Jesus was missing from his family for 3 days when he was 12.  Can you imagine the angst his parents had looking for him for 3 days?  Some parents go nuts if their kids are gone 3 minutes, let alone 3 hours or 3 days!  Have I been missing from my family?  I haven't so much this year but I can sure see where I did it in the past!

Winter is the season for closeness, we have huddle together just to keep warm!  It will be too soon when winter is gone and it is time to plant once more.  My 51st year to plant is close!  There is so much to do before I plant that crop.  I have gypsum, lime and fertilizer to spread and new tile to repair.  I have to figure out how to control my pests, mainly weeds.  That will have to wait now that we have a real winter at hand once more.

It's my main job to see that I help keep my family holy.  That's a pretty big job for anyone but especially for me.  I could get lost at the NoTill Conference and come home with my head in the clouds.  I might do that because I have in the past.

Learning is one thing, practicing what you learn is whole 'nother ballgame.

It's time to play ball!

Ed

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed Priest's comments on Holy Family last night as well Ed. Our focus was on the 2 words "every year" at the begning of the gospel. With the focus on consistency in the home and family life.
    Always enjoy getting something out of the homily when we go each week. Next week is one of my favorite Gospel's of year with the wisemen on their journey.

    Phil A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Hank is a powerful homilist. Is that a word? He writes very clearly and succinctly. He speaks as slowly and clearly as he writes. We say the Our Father or Lord's Prayer as slow as I have ever heard it. It makes it very meaningful to me.

    ReplyDelete