Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cut, Burlapped or Artificial?

Do you put up a Christmas tree?  I would enjoy seeing them if you could post them here or email me pictures of your tree.  Do you prefer cut trees, burlapped to plant again outside or artificial Christmas trees?  I've had all three and I say it depends on your preference and your goal.

Artificial trees dominate the decoration scene today, they are easiest to deal with.  That is until the center section of a pre-lighted tree doesn't work anymore!  I am sure you have stories on that, we do and I don't think I have met anyone who didn't.  I think we have all been there and done that, right?

We are back at that stage right now.  The last artificial tree we enjoyed the lasted seven Christmases.  Last year LuAnn bought a new nine footer from Lowe's and the center went out on it in the middle of Advent.  She took it back and they reimbursed her money.  Now we are back to no Christmas tree and the floor where it sits is going to pulled up next week.

So, we went Christmas shopping this morning.  The last stop was Grant's Farm where I love to shop for Christmas and we picked up a beautiful, large Poinsettia and a fresh made wreath for the front door.  I liked the cut Fraser Firs from Virginia and North Carolina for $80, she didn't.  She liked the $125 dollar balled and burlapped tree and I liked the $150-175 ones but we weren't in the pickup truck.  So we still have no tree.

I supported the Christmas tree industry all my life so I didn't feel so bad when she wanted an artificial when we bought this old farmhouse nine years ago.  A cut tree is such a fire hazard.  I guess we did cut the top off a tree that grew over the sidewalk at Matt's new house so that first artificial only served six years.

The balled and burlapped makes the most sense for the environment and we love trees.  The problem is Advent is longer than you can keep a live tree in the house and expect it to survive.  We may end up with one this year though if the floor gets repaired in time next week.  We have a shortened Advent at our house due to construction.  Did I say that right?

Ooh, wow, this old picture has the dreaded red wall paper on it!  That's all gone now, thank goodness.  We thought it was cool when we bought this place but the dark winters soon proved that wrong.

I have to tell you about the Christmas Musical at the Murphy Theatre last night.  We had tickets to see Madison perform with her dance class.  The program was WAY too long but featured all local talent that was pretty good.  I detested the Adam's County cloggers that were a major part of the show, over and over again until something happened.

The old man that clogged with the group was 90 years old and is a Pearl Harbor survivor!  It was Pearl Harbor day, too!  He picked up clogging at 79 to keep him spry!  He received lots of flowers and a standing ovation.

Anyhow, I am curious as to what your tradition and preference is.  You know mine now!

Thanks,

Ed Winkle

No comments:

Post a Comment