Monday, December 10, 2012

Riverside, Iowa

You should really be here!  You really should!

If you know anything about Ed Winkle or HyMark High Spots you know he likes to farm.  You also know he has a passion for farming and knowledge that takes him all over the world.  Why does he have to drive 500 miles to get someone who "speaks his language?"

This week I am in Riverside, Iowa at FHR Farms Farm to Plate Seminar.  I really wish you were all here but there are some of you I have had deep conversations with that I REALLY wish you were here!

Now think about this, Dr. Arden Andersen is in the middle of his talk about good food from good soil and mentions Brix level and Creation and I am wondering what the Brix level was in those apples Adam and Eve ate?

Let's get serious.  I am here to learn how to grow better crops.  I love to speak with my fields.  When my neighbor put on Facebook I had the most outstanding corn she had seen, I smiled with joy.  That is better than winning the Lottery.    After about an hour of this 3 day class crammed into 2 days, I am thinking I wish I was 40 again or at least 50.  This seminar could add a million to our bank account and 10 years to our lives.

That corn in the picture has a few weeds.  The spacing of the stand is off because that is where I took off with the planter but that corn has a Brix level of 8 and it made 190 bu where 150 bu corn grows.

Basically I have studied this stuff all my life.  Every once in awhile I need a real swift kick in the seat of the pants like Toby Keith sings about.  I have enjoyed so many season, I am running out of them.  This marked the 50th year since I planted my first field of corn in the 8th grade.

Take home points to Ed:
Get more calcium on
Send those soil tests you split and send the other half to Perry Labs, Morgan test
Ask Santa for a Reflectometer(yours never got returned)
Start Brixing everything again like you did in the 90's
Learn how to get them over 12
Spend the time and money and just do it
I have to figure out a way to physically get the spoon feeding on

Dr. Andersen and Is do share some likes.  We both like Iowa and we both like New Zealand and we are both going to be there at the same time.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment