Monday, February 4, 2013

Demolition

I really need to find my camera and my picture link now because our bathroom is destroyed!  The good news is Tim found the cross necklace LuAnn lost down a crack between the wall and the vanity.  The bad news is the old pecan wood flooring does not go all the way across the room.  Where the toilet sits there is a piece of plywood subbed in.  The old flooring must have been rotten when Phil and Betty remodeled this place in the 70's.

I wonder what else is hid in this house?  A big bag of money would be sweet, wouldn't it?  One fellow said he and his buddies would be happy to hunt for metal with their detectors since it's of Civil War edge.  The best part was we get to keep what they find, they just like to hunt for buried treasure!  Who knows what could be buried around here!

I always wondered how you would get the old cast iron bathtubs out.  These guys just tap them into pieces with a ball-peen hammer!  I heard of using sawzalls but as soon as they told me I remembered tapping apart thin cast iron like is in a bathtub.  I had forgotten about that since my youth.  I guess I am more of the cutting torch generation!

I assume you are familiar with a walk-in shower.  We have used so many the past few years we wanted one too.  The brushed nickel shower and head was made in Ontario but the company is headquartered in Indiana.  We like keeping our money close to home whenever possible.  We read labels all the time now like the day Kroger got their Chinese garlic powder back.  The Lowe's tastes so much better and I don't mean the home improvement store.

It's another exciting event on this old farm to get a new master bathroom and remodeled bedroom.  I hate to see the carpet leave my feet but it holds too many allergens and we both suffer from allergies.  I think most people do whether they know it or not.  I held out strong to keep that old carpet this long!  You guys and gals know exactly what I mean!

The old dry wall will go into garden.  It is so loose and loamy now you can barely walk on it when its wet.  In fact, you shouldn't.  The neighbor brought a load of left over drywall from his house and you should see how mellow that ground is where we spread.  That was a hot July day and now it's all gone, paper backing included.

It's been a long hard nine years but it went by so fast I can barely remember it!  Do any of you plan any remodeling in the future?

Ed


P.S. Since Ed did not add a picture, I added one of my own. Good old Internet. Looks to me that the pecan wood flooring is not destroyed at all, it's growing!  ;) Chimel.

1 comment:

  1. We still have no kitchen and one bathroom after over a month of demolition. I miss my house!

    I am burning one of my pecan limbs that got cut down while we are gone.

    ReplyDelete