Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Alignment Of The Stars

My biological clock is off a bit and I am wide awake at 4 AM.  I mosied down to the computer trying not to awaken Sleeping Beauty.  I turned it on and noticed a beautiful Google image this morning.  It's to recognize the birth of Niklaus Copernicus, one of the great mathematicians of all time.  Take time to read his story if you can.

I also learned of the passing of Dr. Dan Skow, DVM.  You may have heard of him or may not but he was also on the quest of nutrient dense foods for animal and human health and profitable farming.  I hope we are all on that quest.  We are losing a lot of the great minds and strong voices just like Copernicus' day.

It was 15 degrees at this hour Sunday morning and 24 yesterday.  Today it is 42 degrees with those strong winds from the south.  It's up and down and all around and reminds me of a drought year again this morning for some reason.

There is so much uncertainty in the market place that the drought conditions have not made the market run much this winter but down.  I should have bought puts the day I bought calls.  I was convinced the market is going to make a strong run up and it has made no indication of it.  Any bit of news though can send this thing either direction.  It's hard to plan when market conditions like this exist but I am still an optimist.

The average temperature of the places we traveled down under are around 60 degrees F.  It's a whole 'nother world down there with completely different location, geology and climate.  That alone makes it hard to compare to the states though we grow a lot of the same crops the same way both places.

Our trip must have been in alignment of the stars, too.  Once again it was about picture perfect.  We got to thinking we have seen the 50 states, most of Canada, 40 National Parks and 40 or so countries on 10 camping trips, 7 ocean cruises, 2 European river cruises and such.  That's a lot of traveling in 10 years.

Are we richer for it?  I think so.  It cost enough to buy another farm so I guess that separates us from the home bodies who own more land but travel less.  I didn't want to die without seeing the world first.  Today I can tell you I am satisfied with what I have seen but we are both so curious that when the travel bug bites we respond.

It is Lent.  We did get our ashes on the ship.  It's time to pray, fast and give alms.  I do better at 2 out of those 3.  I am thankful to have never suffered hunger like most people in history have.

I have never had to suffer hunger.  I am part of American Agriculture.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment