Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Check Your Corn

I am getting calls and email to check your corn. Dig some plants and split them up the middle at the crown. Farmers and scouts are finding too many dark lesions on the corn across the country. We might have a sick crop, sicker than we think it is.

Goss's Wilt has been confirmed from Nebraska to the east coast and around the globe. It sounds like the idea that last year's seed is contaminated is fact. If it is, don't go spraying a fungicide on it trying to make it healthier because you will strip off the protective wax and open the cuticles up to future bacteria blowing by.

I have seen a lot of corn this week and I have seen a lot of sick corn and quite a bit of good healthy looking corn. It is all over the board.

I will try to catch up on my blogging tomorrow so until then or whenever, have a great day!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment