Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spring Fever


My dear blogger asked me to write about my severe case of spring fever. After a month in New Zealand with fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers and a crop nearing harvest, coming home to snow banks was a shock to the system. But three days of sunshine has brought me out of a state of shock and into a state of anticipation.

Maybe it is noticing the longer days, the warmer sunshine or the seed catalogs. Maybe it is the NCAA basketball March Madness bracket announcement coming up next weekend. Maybe it planning for our annual St. Patrick’s Day dinner of corned beef and cabbage. Whatever it is, spring is definitely in the air and I have spring fever badly.

In NY I was not a big fan of spring. In fact, it was probably my least favorite season. Even after months of long winter nights, and snow on the ground since the previous Thanksgiving, I just hated the on and off, muddy, snow-when-you-thought-it-was-all-over days. It was a rare year that snow didn’t fall on or about Easter and I recall one Mother’s Day when we got 8 inches of heavy wet snow. That storm threatened to disrupt the children’s First Communion Sunday, a very important day at all Catholic churches. Imagine the little girls in their white dresses and veils…and BOOTS!

But here in SW Ohio it is different. Spring means spring. Since we don’t get nearly as much annual snowfall, the springtime is less muddy. We often have daffodils, narcissus, tulips, crocuses, jonquils, and other spring blooming flowers in SPINGTIME. When they are supposed to be here. Here in Ohio we don’t have to wait for Lake Erie to lose its ice pack to warm up our spring days. Here in Ohio we get our gardens planted before Memorial Day. Here in Ohio I love spring.

And I am ready for it right now! I can smell it. I can hear it. I can feel it. Next week I have a conference to attend in Orlando. By the time I get home it will be calendar spring. I usually undertake a number of activities that mark the sign.

I do an old fashioned spring cleaning. I move our winter clothes out of the closets and bring in a few spring items….gradually moving all. I wash the windows that have gathered their share of winter dust and grime from the westerly winds that buffet the house on the hill. I change out wool throws and goose down comforters for lighter cotton in lighter colors. I pore over seed catalogs and plan my garden. I start seedlings indoors and dream of the day when I will have a small greenhouse. I nudge my dear blogger to attend the Cincinnati Home and Garden Show to get ideas for my annual outdoor project. This year will be an overhaul of my water garden.

Can you tell I am full of ideas, anxious to get started and ready to welcome the move to outdoor living? I hope, wherever you are, that spring is at your doorstep. I hope you are getting those urges to clean, change, start, plan and plant. I hope that you are experiencing the annual malady known as spring fever that seems to afflict all of us who survived another winter! 13 more days until it is officially spring! Get well soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment