Sunday, January 18, 2015

99 Bushel Beans In Kansas

Owen Taylot's AgFax email caught my attention this morning.  It reports a farmer who hit 100 bushel soybeans in Kansas!

We have travelled Kansas a bit and when you think of Kansas you don't think of 100 bushel soybeans.  I think of wheat, sunflowers and irrigation because that's more what I've seen there.

It's a big state with lots of dryland and home to the Dustbowl.  I do know that Eastern Kansas towards Kansas City is not as dry as western Kansas but the state's annual rainfall is still probably half of what we get in Ohio or less than half.

"Bob Wietharn, Clay Center, topped the irrigated division with a no-till entry that made 99.81 bushels per acre. Meredith Jeschke, Highland, led the dryland division with a no-till entry of 84.30 bushels per acre. Harold Koster, Hoxie, won the value contest with $1.56 per bushel of increased value (15.3 percent over the cash price)."

The dryland yield is even more impressive to me than the 100 bushel irrigated yield but they are both really good.  What does it take to raise 100 bushel soybeans or even 80 bushel for that matter?  The farmer has to do everything about perfect but Mother Nature has to also, especially in Kansas!

When my little 2 acre bottom of Apex semi dwarf soybeans averaged 94 bushels in 2013, I knew I had done a lot of things right.  My variety, planting date, population, fertility and weed control was spot on.

I have enjoyed talking to you about high yield soybeans and 100 bushel soybeans here on HyMark Highspots.  It's been a passion of mine the past ten years and the principles involved can help us all make more profit raising soybeans.

I don't hear much talk about high yield plots this year as everyone seems to be scratching their head just to figure out how to at least break even this year.

Just maybe a high yield plot would keep us positive this year and we might even learn a few things to help us make money when things aren't so rosey.  One young friend has been working on his 400 bu corn plot and I see the positive juices flowing.  It's good for the soul.

Congrats to the high yield producers, that's a good diversion for me on a winter's day.

Ed

5 comments:

  1. Not trying to lessen the positive, but I always wonder if we're sacrificing nutritional value for volume. However, the farmer gets paid for volume, not nutritional content, so volume has to be his goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The process of trying to raise volume of a crop and the process of raising the nutritional value of a crop are the same. You eliminate stress and supply food. I don't know how you could target nutritional value and not influence yield.

      I would guess the 100 bu beans were indistinguishable from the lower yielding beans in the area.

      Ed, thanks for recognizing kansas producers. I'm planning on attempting to beat that mark next year. To help me keep my mind from the negative thoughts of a sour market. Growing soybeans for high yields is a tough nut to crack. Our farm won the yield contest 4 years ago at 88.5 bu/ac. We have some ideas that make us think we can do better.

      I'm happy to see you posting again.

      David Seck

      Delete
    2. We do and have sacrificed nutritional value for volume but my market mostly pays for volume and not nutritional value. I do believe in nutrient dense food however and try to produce it.

      David, I wish you well on your endeavor. I am back to raising a good crop for a profit and won't be shooting for record yields this year.

      Ed

      Delete