Thursday, November 28, 2013

Growing Up On A Farm

Growing up on a farm in this modern day was the best thing that ever happened to me.  My family was never rich, they were tenant farmers, but they persevered.  They stayed on the farm, no matter the cost.

I couldn't figure out a way to make a living on the farm so I did the next best thing for me, I lived on a "farmette", living like a farmer but working off the farm.  I managed the school's farm for 16 years and rented ground wherever I could find it.  The last ten years I have actually had the chance to live on a farm and live like my neighboring farmers do.  I give thanks for that today.

I think growing up on a farm you learn to love it or hate it and make your decision thereafter as to what to do with your life.  Deciding to farm or live on a farm takes a lot of sacrifice.  You really had to have joy to go out and pick corn on Thanksgiving day because it was a good day to do it.  We took most days like that off and planned our schedule around Sundays and holidays but we had to work.  Our whole existence depended on it and our work was our passion.

Don't get me wrong, we did give thanks daily and regularly but our work was our passion.  I just loved farming from the get go and that's all I wanted to do but I was raised that I should "make something better of myself."  I was blessed with the ability to learn and learn quickly and I learned how to teach that to others so that was my career, teaching; but I always wanted to farm.

I farmed in my brain all my life and knew farming inside out, but there is nothing like doing it for a living if you really want to.  My wise words to you today is if you have that passion, find a way to do it.  There is always opportunity if you are willing to learn enough to accept that risk.  For every success story in farming, I bet there are at least 100 failures.  It's a hard, hard business.

Happy thanksgiving to all my readers and may God Bless the farmers.

Ed Winkle

3 comments:

  1. "Happy thanksgiving from our family to yours! The Farmer's Thanksgiving Prayer The harvest is done
    The bins are full Same can’t be said for my wallet That’s for sure
    But the bills are paid The equipment is clean Those who says farming isn’t fun Don’t know what that means
    It may not be worth it To fight the bad luck and weather But all that doesn’t seem to matter
    When the family is back together After living in the field When it shines or when it pours There’s no better place to be
    Than through that front door
    I have quite a lot Considering how I make a living My prayers have all been answered But I’ll save one for Thanksgiving
    Dear Lord God in Heaven Not sure what I did For a hard working wife And a house full of kids
    Don’t think for a second I have what I deserve But know that I’m Thankful And for You, I’ll continue to serve Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Ed. You have sacrifice a lot if you want to farm. You have to have the love for what you do, a passion like nothing else. There is opportunity if you have the right stuff. It is not easy, and will not get any easier. But it is what we are here to do. Thank you for all you sharing of knowledge and passion to others. Guys like you make it possible for guys like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome, Nathan. God has sent so many good people, many great teachers and mentors who improved my life, my knowledge and my understanding.

    This is my little way of giving back. It truly is what I am here to do.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete