Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Two Good Men

I need two good men today.  Anyone available?  All my part time help is busy doing other jobs.  Maybe 2 men and a truck are available.

I just sent a garbage bag full of jackets and winter coats to Turning Point this morning.  LuAnn has a good worker who doesn't have enough (any?)coats so I fixed him up.  Tractor Supply has a sale on Carhartt's this week and I love new Carhartt's.  It's amazing what you accumulate over time.

Everytime we travel west or east to Pennsylvania we stop at Cabela's.  I usually end up buying a coat on sale.  The next thing you know, they won't all fit in our mudroom closet.  I just cleaned mine out and it is still pretty full.

I need to do that with shoes, too.  I have a bunch of good workboots I can't wear comfortably anymore and there is always someone around here who can use a pair.  10 years ago you couldn't give away this stuff and now it's in high demand.  There is the American economy for you in Ohio right there.

HOPE Emergency does a good job of distributing these goods to local, needy people.  We like helping them.  This is their busy week to try and get a Thanksgiving meal to all of their families.  I think the number is around 400 right now.  The local churches and other groups have been accepting donations for a month or so now.

Those barns housed a lumber store years ago that should have never been built out in the country.  It went belly up and a friend of mine bought it.  I forget the story how the sisters ended up with it but it must be on their website somewhere.

This was brought up on ag talk this week.  "Had a little farm got sold today 67 acres +or- only 52 tillable in 4 fields with a power line running through the biggest field is 17 acres and the smallest is 7 acres trees on 3 sides, a farm place in the middle of it that is sold to someone else no tile and light soils and rolling ground sold today for around $9700.00 an acre tillable and the farmer that bought will have to buy new equipment to farm it because his equipment is to big for it. The 2 guys that bid against each other I heard do not like each other. I wonder who one the fight?"

There are others who have been reporting actual fist fights over land rental and purchase.  That's not a good sign!  I told them to come to poor old Ohio where 84 acres sold for $3250 per acre last week and 440 acres of rough ground only brought $500,000.  Some people can't believe that but it's true.

I better get to work.  You have a good day.

Ed






No comments:

Post a Comment