Friday, November 30, 2012

The Permafrost Is Melting

I saw on the news a report that said the permafrost is melting.  I don't know how many of you have seen it but is just what I would call permanent frost in the ground in the coldest areas.  It makes sense to me that would move around and change over time.  It got warm enough to make glaciers cover North America around 10,000 years ago, you know?

It did that again 100,000 years ago and both glacial soils hold up our house.  They do a great job of producing and holding up our crops, too!  The foundation sits on old cut bedrock but I have no idea what era that stone is from.   I do love these Wisconsin aged soils but they are quite erodible where I live.

Yet, this morning, my friend Eddie says it's minus 52 degrees in Chicken, Alaska.  Frozen Chicken, get it?  So who is telling the truth?

I assume both things are happening at the same time, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.  If we look closely at ourselves I do believe we have "bigger fish to fry."

It's the last day of the 11th month.  Where did that go?  Tomorrow is the first of December and Advent is upon us!

LuAnn is preparing the house for Advent.  We have no tree up yet and won't until Steve comes back and replaces the rotten timbers near the front door.  That part of the front room is where the tree is going to sit this year if we get it done in time.  If not, we will celebrate some other way!

All of her Chinese special artificial trees have bit the dust so I have been bargaining for a cut tree or a live tree.  Either one is a mess but we can plant a balled tree on the new farm.  I think that may happen though we have not shopped for one yet.

What do you think of this piece I just received?

If you live in the states, I would also encourage you to complete this survey for my friend, Mike Huckabee.  I already completed it so let me know if this link doesn't work for you, I can't tell from here.

I might add more later but need to get on to other tasks so I wish you all a blessed end to November!  The moon sure has been bright and pretty and all of the kids and inmates have been running wild this week!

Ed

5 comments:

  1. It is a little worrisome if all that carbon dioxide is going to be released as the permafrost melts. Combine that with what we are already putting out in our normal daily activities and I think we may have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The large quantities of methane contained in the permafrost from decomposing organic matter as it melts is an even bigger problem, as methane is much more of an ozone killer than carbon dioxide is.

    But at least on this count we know who is responsible and for once it's not climate change: Ben & Jerry must have launched a new "Permafrost" ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article on permafrost and the release of methane gas in this month's issue of National Geographic, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph, don't you think that happened before man and his activities? I just have to think so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, of course this paragraph is truly fastidious and I have learned
    lot of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.


    Feel free to visit my page - THEWORLDSBESTINVENTION.COM

    ReplyDelete