Saturday, August 4, 2012

State Fair

I finally took LuAnn to the Ohio State Fair today. It was my first time in a long time and her first time period. It is not the same as it used to be. We came to watch Madison show her Division I Champion Market Barrow from the County Fair.

That pig was almost good enough to win. He was a bit short in the rib compared to the two that narrowly beat him and the first place pig went on to be Reserve Champion. That is pretty good! I know I never did that well in my first year and never won that show but I tried.

Sister Brynn finished at the top of the peewee showmanship. That girl is quite a charmer and a good young showman. Her pig also got a second in his class. Those girls are going to be quite fomidable in the showring because they already are!

I showed LuAnn the agriculture building where I used to bring pickup loads of vegetables, hay and crops for exhibition. I even had a bumper sticker made in 1982 that said Blanchester FFA and Crops Are Tops! The chapter was first in the state chapter contest and we won more crop classes than any other chapter. That was my peak at Blanchester where Madison and Brynn are now students!

I asked a fellow at the bee exhibit what happened because I remembered the honey exhibits was near the crop exhibits. He looked like someone who might know what happened. He was a jolly fellow but he also lamented the loss of the crop show and said that was the last year he came to the fair until now. The fair sure doesn't have an agricultural flair to it now with rides, carny food and junky articles for sale everywhere. LuAnn commented how poor it was compared to the Iowa State Fair.

The Iowa State Fair is the best fair we ever attended though we have not seen many, not like National Parks or states. I wonder who does have the best state fair? Iowa has to be there but there surely are more.

Maybe we will get to see some of them, but I hope they are better than the Ohio State Fair! It was exciting in the 60's when I was a kid and even when my kids showed there but today? It was no winner.

Ed

2 comments:

  1. The fairs here have turned into carnivals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some have not, Gorges. Did you see the link on the ten to visit? The Iowa State Fair did not seem to be over commercialized but I admit there is plenty at any fair and way too much at most. I haven't been to a WVA fair for a long time but used to when I pulled and when the kids judged livestock.

    ReplyDelete