Saturday, August 25, 2012

Wind

We drove though high winds today across Saskatchewan. It felt like an inland hurricane like we had in September, 2008 when Hurricane Ike blew across the midwest. Thankfully it was not that severe.

The oil and grain business is booming in the province. The oil towns are crowded and the country side is golden wherever they can raise grain.

It gets 40 below zero in this area. I couldn't live here, I am not tough enough. For an August day it was very cool for us "southerners."

Gasoline is $1.25 per liter in this are and the lowest we purchased was $1.10 in Alberta. Food is about a third higher than what we are used to from restaurant to grocery store but I would say beef is a better buy here than in America.

We shopped at a Sobey's last night and it was beautifully laid it with fresh food. It was very attractive and looked more like a European store but the cost came with it.

We are having a good trip but today was a little unnerving. It is no fun to drive a truck and slide in camper through high winds.

Have a great weekend,

Ed and LuAnn

3 comments:

  1. Don't leave the country without trying the poutine fries.

    Gas is USD 2-2.5 a liter in France, that's USD 7.57-9.46 a gallon, lucky North Americans. But at least we don't have to worry about destroying a natural area the size of North Carolina or New York. I don't understand why they sell all this Albertan sand oil to the U.S. though, they should keep some for their own usage in the next century, unless they do that already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what the national plan is here. I think some governments are so deep in debt it's pay me now instead of pay me later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, you hit Sask. on a bad day. It was cold even by my standards at 50 some degrees. You missed 80 degrees by one day. And that wind was extreme too. Sure hope my canola swaths are still where I laid them last week. It can do some real damage. Early reports tell me that those big swaths are not yielding nearly as much as they should. Disease has hit the crops harder than usual this year.

    ReplyDelete