Thursday, August 16, 2012

Great Day

Through all the turmoil I am going through trying to finish consulting and farm projects so we can go camping, I had a great day!

My son Matt took our grandson Corbin for his first day of kindergarten(where did that time go?) and had business in Wilmington so we got together. Since he showed me his awesome Pioneer 93Y92 soybeans, I wanted to show him the best beans I have seen around here. It turned into a 25 mile scouting trip.

I have 500 acres of food grade soybeans I have been watching that really look good. We counted an average of 50 of what looks to be like harvestable pods on 15 inch rows. We started looking at Croplan, Seed Consultants, Becks and Biogene soybeans in comparison. We found 25 pods per plant on 180k stands up the 50 pods on the Porter Hybrid eMerge soybeans. It is unusual food grade beans would be that so competitive with RR and LL soybeans. They were all very clean fields.

The best beans had a very long tap root and he had to pull them out because I wasn't strong enough. My arthritic fingers don't have the grip they used to have. Nodulation was best on the higher pod counts and were non existant on the low pod counts.

I am already planning in my head where I would plant these beans next year and what might work and what might not. I can use my old faithful Jacob beans in the worst conditions but I would like to see if I can grow some food grade beans as good as what we found today.

That gets my mind off the flurry of things I have to do before we leave. Tomorrow will be one frantic, frustrating day if I am not careful.

I need a few more distractions like I had today!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment