Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Do You Believe?

Do you really believe these accusations are true? We are getting bombarded in Ohio by every form of media from one party or candidate to another. The mudslinging is going to get really, really bad so it would be a nice fall to go camp in the wilderness until the election is over. Seriously.

Our blog reader friend who bought his dream farm east of me just sent his tissue test results as promised. I think he learned more from reading this blog than I can apply to my own farm! His beautiful soybean crop is deficient in nothing and sufficient in everything. "Don't guess, soil test, and back it up with a tissue test." It works!

I plowed the weed patch, I mean our garden under this morning. That soil is in beautiful condition. I wish I had 10 ton of manure and sand to put on it but it is pretty darned good as it is. I am going to sow all of our left over seeds and get a good cover of wheat, barley, rye and radish. I need to be vigilant on these pigweeds.

I couldn't find any earth worms and the population was low this spring. The heat and the drought sent them deep. There has never been enough rain like last year to find dead earthworms on the sidewalk like you always see in waterlogged soil. Some friends were concerned but I said not to worry, just keep feeding them plenty of vegetation year round.

Yesterday we talked about tall waterhemp and palmer pigweed in Ohio so the battle is on. Farmers better use every tactic they can read and apply. You have to fight this weed all year long and I have never seen so many pigweeds in Clinton County since Basagran came out. That pretty well took care of them back in the 80's. What goes round comes around they say.

David Brandt showed me sunn hemp cover crop yesterday at the field day. He said Ed, you have to plant some and get others to try them. He is getting great results feeding grass crops with sunnhemp. The nodules in the sad little plot they stuck him in was impressive. That piece of land has been bulldozed and pretty much destroyed and Dave had a good healthy cover growing on it.

I see Adam Lemler picked up on my blog from yesterday. This is a really good blog topic, too, especially if you win the $320 million powerball drawing tonight.

Forget the politics and the lottery, do you believe what I am saying? Take the tidbits from today's blog and go do something about them, would you?

Thanks,

Ed Winkle

3 comments:

  1. Down deep, I think you KNOW what is true. I think we ALL do. The question is, will we be honest with ourselves about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I remember, there was one time when Obama did held this kind of discourse praising Islam (the good part of it) as a way to defuse the increasingly growing concern that America was conducting a crusade on all Muslims and tanned people inside and outside of the US.

    I'd be more concerned about how these politicians act in real life than how they speak, we all know the worthiness or lack of politician talks. Most of Bush Junior's personal money came from Saudi Arabia when he started as President, for instance.

    Anyway, I haven't listened to much of what's going on, but it seemed that both camps had the exact same program, which was to denigrate the opposite candidate with "where would be America ifs" and "where has America been sinces."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is a mess either way. Most Americans do not seem to know or care anymore. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete