Saturday, January 31, 2009

Snowmobiling today


I always wanted to snowmobile when I was a kid. Those were rare machines in southwest Ohio in the 50's and 80's.

I never got to ride one until 1999 when I met LuAnn. She lived near Buffalo NY so snowmobiling was their winter fun.

She owned two big touring sleds, her son had a fast 650cc SkiDoo and the youngest had a Polaris. We used to ride all over their part of the country. 100 MPH on snow is pretty crazy! 50 is a nice comfortable speed on the flats for me.

They sold all the sleds when they moved here except for the Polaris. It wasn't worth much in NY so we just kept it.

Now we ride it on those rare days we get enough snow to sled here in southwest Ohio. Today was one of those rare days.

It was awfully cold because it is windy today. But it is always fun to go riding. It is more fun to ride in pairs or groups but we are lucky to have one sled to take turns on and really can't justify any more.

The neighbor kids came over and all got to ride. That kind of makes the farm special with a sled sitting in the machinery shed along side the jet ski and TransAm.

Took me a lifetime to buy a farm and ride a snowmobile but it is worth it. What a fun way to spend a winter day. Sounds like we might get a few more rare days, too!

How was your day?

Ed Winkle

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to give
    it a look. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my
    followers! Wonderful blog and amazing design and style.
    Here is my blog - diets that work for women

    ReplyDelete