Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Finally Finishing Harvest

We are finally finishing harvesting today.  It feels so good to finish harvest after another really challenging year.

We had 15 inches of rain not long after planting our corn and it nearly killed it.  It is resting comfortably in our grain bin right now, something I only dreamed of 40 years ago.  It was not my best crop but it was a good crop.

Our best crop was our wheat crop.  It performed amazingly well, beating my expectations.  I really hope it does well for all of the good farmers who wanted seed from it.  It was a really, really good crop.

The Clermont and Jacob soybeans we planted June 28-30 are coming off really good.  We could have gotten a snow and lost them but they are going into the bins.  I am anxious to see what the seed quality is because they look about perfect to me.  I use the Central Ohio Seed Testing Lab or COST as they call it to go over my seed with a fine toothed comb.  That has worked very well for me since 1985 and even before then when dad planted Ohio Certified Seed.  When they say you have good germination with few dead seeds, you have really good seed.

I really think the gypsum I spread on every acre last fall had a good impact on our crops, just like it did for Ben Franklin on the hills of Pennsylvania 240 years ago.  We saw a T shirt at the Cincinnati Museum that had the chemical symbols of C, Mn, and Cr on it Sunday.  I told LuAnn my T shirt should have the letters Can, N, S on it.  The balancing of Calcium, Nitrogen and Sulfur on our farm has been really crucial to our success.

I hope every farmer gets to enjoy what I am enjoying right now because it is pay day.  Maybe not today but at least we have something good to sell.

This might be our last good day this year with high's in the 60's so I need to get out there and enjoy it.

I hope you do, too.

Ed Winkle

2 comments:

  1. I planted Clermont beans this year. They were in the mid 50s, had 4 bean pods. I didn't plant enough population because of the germination and the seed size. What did they yield for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much the same here and everywhere I saw them, mid 50's, 4 bean pods. I think they like more heat.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete