Monday, February 10, 2014

A Humble Beginning

A Humble Beginning

Bible Reading: 2 Kings 5:1-15
We admitted that we were powerless over our dependencies and that our lives had become unmanageable. It can be very humiliating to admit that we are powerless, especially if we are used to being in control. We may be powerful in some areas of our lives, but out of control in terms of our addictive/compulsive behaviors. If we refuse to admit our powerlessness, we may lose everything. That one unmanageable part of our lives may infect and soon destroy everything else.
The experiences of a man named Naaman illustrate how this is true (2 Kings 5:1-15). He was a powerful military and political figure, a man of wealth, position, and power. He also had leprosy, which promised to bring about the loss of everything he held dear. Lepers were made outcasts from their families and society. Ultimately, they faced a slow, painful, and disgraceful death.
Naaman heard that there was a prophet in Israel who could heal him. He found the prophet and was told that in order to be healed, he need to dip himself seven times in the Jordan River.  He went away outraged, having expected his power to buy him an instant and easy cure. In the end, however, he acknowledge his powerlessness, followed the instructions, and recovered completely. Our “disease” is as life threatening as the leprosy in Naaman’s day.
It slowly separates us from our families and leads toward the destruction of everything important to us. There is no instant or easy cure. The only answer is to admit our powerlessness, humble ourselves, and submit to the process that will eventually bring us recovery.

We must let go in order to hold on to the things dear to us.
LuAnn and I read this to each other this morning.  These kinds of wise readings help boost each other for the day ahead.
I had a big problem with humility but my bubble got burst.  Now I try to understand how to be a new person and not like my old self.  My head can get big in a minute but not nearly as much as it used to.
My lack of humility was a cover for my fear of being afraid of all the things in this world that make us afraid.  My Creator doesn't want me to be like that and I am not happy if I am.
I post this today as I struggle with staying humble in this country of desire and seeing my friends and family struggle with the same thing, too.
Ed Winkle

2 comments:

  1. Ed

    Excellent Post. Keep up the good work.

    Ron Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days are easier than others, Ron. Lord, help me be a better person!

    ReplyDelete