Sunday, July 21, 2013

Your Favorite Blog Of Mine?

What is your favorite blog that I've written over the last 4 1/2 years?  Mine is still the Hybridization of Corn.  I've had blogs that were read more than than one, thousands of times over, but this one is still my favorite.  Read the blog again and click on the chart where the population curve goes straight up after the 1800's.

I bring this up because farmers in the Boiler Room were giving credit to genetic modification of plants as "the saviour of the world," or the best example of plant science feeding our growing and hungry mankind.  I don't think it is.

I think advancements in farm machinery are more important than genetic modification.  I was judging crops today at a county fair and a student and his advisor asked why plant sap was leaking out of a black lesion below the ear leaf of his beautiful, eared out corn exhibit.  I had a teachable moment and I made them think.

Still, US Farm Report reported today that 70% of all US corn this year is triple stacked!  I ask those growers to look at their corn stalks closely.  Many will find the leaking plant juice the FFA member asked about.  Heck, I even find it in non GMO corn but we've talked about that, too in my blog the last several months.

I have been concentrating on scouting soybeans for Asian shipment so hard, I haven't had time to scout corn like I'd like to.  Marestail and giant ragweed have large breakouts this year with the weather we have and pigweed isn't quite the problem I thought it would be.  There are some that will go to seed but the other two are the big problem here this year.

I don't think soybeans will touch corn or wheat here this year for net profit.  I hope I am wrong.  There are two critical months left unti harvest starts but the beans just aren't there.  We had a really good wheat crop in Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania and I am expecting the same for corn.  Soybeans, I don't think so.

What is your favorite blog of mine?  I am curious.  I haven't checked in awhile but my wildlife and dog stories are very popular and even some of my glyphosate blogs have 1500-2000 views each.  I am always open to suggestions and email is always open.  The phone is when I can get to it, and that hasn't been very often the last two weeks.  I use it for necessity when scouting.

Have a great Sunday and blessings to you all.

Sincerely,

Ed Winkle

2 comments:

  1. Here the corn is about to be a flop just like last year...only took it longer to be a flop. The beans are holding stagnet and need rain now and more later...

    We're back in the drought watch area I saw on RFDTV so not good....

    I plan to plant my cover crop later this week and hope it has moisire to come up...or will come up later and I can still get grazing off it. I' will be adding molasses to straw and feeding some of that again this year.....wheat maybe the big money and saving grace 2 years in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that Brad. I haven't heard much from Missouri and now I know why.

    Good luck on the cover crops, I found a new catchy phrase yesterday I will be using this week.

    Sure nice to not hit 94 today with a 74 dewpoint like we did last week.

    Looks like about 1.5 inches around here but a few got 4-5 inches, that is heavy rain for July!

    Ed

    ReplyDelete