Monday, July 1, 2013

Geocache

Lots of visitors are at our farm and the 32 or so Quilt Barn Trail Geocaching hunt here in Clinton County Ohio this weekend.  We have met very nice people already!  One visitor said we were the first family to come out and greet him and he is half done!  People are busy and I understand why some would not greet the visitors, they just don't have time to.  I take the time to do it.

I like to visit and welcome people and I like to talk about modern farming and my German Dutch Scotch Irish heritage.  It's been fun.

I also like to buy local and I like to see small business and small farms do well.  This is a good way to build business for many of our various types of farm markets in Clinton County.

I asked the first lady here what she was using to find the geo referenced points and she showed me a $550 receiver with maps and all kinds of capability!  See what happens when you sign up for a simple project?

The group had breakfast at Frisch's then met at the fairgrounds to launch the hunt.  250 tokens were handed out and some of the people I talked to here only had a couple more barns to visit and they would have all 32 tokens.

The farthest away person I met was from Massillon, Ohio, the home of football in America.  That's a good 4 hour drive from here so obviously the project brought people into Clinton County.  I asked one fellow here he was from and he said Cedarville.  I said my brother lives on Gravel Pit Road.  He said I live right around the corner from him on Trumbull.

I would love to do something like this in Iowa and get to see some of the covered bridges.  Or maybe a Dutch heritage tour in Pennsylvania, though we have been in almost every Pa county over the last 8 years.  We don't have to look for Amish in Pennsylvania because their sons and daughters moved to Ohio!

I wonder what the economic impact is for our county on this little project?

Ed Winkle

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure thye value of that skill for the average person, but it certainly won't hurt them any. As for economic impact, ANY is better than none!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's more a curiousity thing. I am the type of individual who is curious and can see how those people like a treasure hunt type of thing. I know it's kind of childish in a way but that is some people's ways.

    I think I am one of them.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete