Friday, July 19, 2013

Four Friends

I just learned of the death of a fourth friend this week.  First there was David who lived a pretty good life and was the father of three of my students in my early years of teaching.  He was a special guy, very quietly religious and was even a pastor over his lifetime.  He was a good neighbor 1/2 mile away for 17 years.

I got to spend a couple of hours with two of the children this week although his wife and one daughter had passed before him.  It was really good to hear my students quote me on things I still write here today.

"NoTill saves soil, oil, and toil.  Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.  Your happiness and success are much determined by your career and your spouse."  The list went on and on.  I was informed of how valuable the lessons taught to me was valued by some of those I passed it on to.

I was saddened to learn that Jeffrey's dream of pulling a tractor never happened.  He always supported me at the pulls, why didn't I let him drive my tractor?  I've let others drive, there is one I missed.  I should have made that man's dream come true.

I told LuAnn about the death of our friend Kathy in Tennessee.  She said, I remember Kathy and I hadn't remembered she ever got to meet her!  Then she reminded me of our get togethers at Marvin's combine parts booth in Louisville and I remembered.  Her husband of 37 years is devastated and all we can do is pray up here in the north.  So many good people have crossed my path.

I just opened up the Cafe awhile ago and my friend Hud posted a link to the obituary of our friend Tom.  Shocked does not adequately describe our emotions.  He was one of the first farmers I met when I became Extension Agent in Warren County.  We ran conservation experiments on his farm.  He supported everything I did.  When I left Extension, he bought seed from my sons to support our family.  We had such a wonderful time at another friend's wedding in Illinois a year ago.  The last time I saw Tom there was he and my good friend Vincent at Dave Brandt's Field Day.

I told Shirley I've been quoting the scripture about your days are numbered like the hairs on your head way too much lately.  She is devastated, too, like a lot of us here in southwest Ohio.  We referred to Tom as Senator Spellmire because of his never ending quest for common sense legislation in agriculture.  He was tireless in his efforts and if he wasn't on a tractor he was at a meeting.

The Good Lord has brought me to many a good person, really, really good people, salt of the earth.  I also told Shirley a live person can only handle so much death but it's all around us.

Say a little prayer for my friends and their wonderful families and I will do the same for yours.

Thank you,

Ed Winkle

2 comments: