Monday, May 27, 2013

May 25

May 25 was a good anniversary for me.  Nine years ago we slept in this house for the first time.  Three years ago I was confirmed as a Catholic and we had our wedding vows renewed.  One month ago I had my knee operated on.

It wasn't a good day for Monsanto, though I suppose it wasn't too bad, either.  It was probably more like my knee operation.  On that day there was a little known to me, March On Monsanto globally.  Even in the great state of Iowa, their popular HyVee Supermarkets supported the campaign.

Farmers have been talking about it on NewAgTalk.  You can read it if you want and make your own opinion.  I see some guys who have an inkling of what is going on but most have their head in the sand.  I equivocate that to the knowledge of the American voter.  They don't understand what the heck is going on or simply don't care.

I can't imagine HyVee Supermarkets supporting the march though.  Does anyone have any information on that?  It really doesn't matter but it seems like a dumb idea to me for some grocery store to support a march on a major corporation whose genetics or chemicals are in maybe 75% of the stuff on their shelves and in their fuel tanks.  It doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at the Facebook link they didn't necessarily support it, one group just marched in front of their Springfield, Missouri store.  I guess that makes more sense.

I think you will see more of this but I don't know what it will amount to.  As farmers, what system makes you the most money and which one is best for the amount of time you expect to own or rent the farm you are using it on?

Glyphosate doesn't work on many farms in my area, you have to spray so many other chemicals to kill the weeds you might as well plant something else anyway.  I don't understand why so many keep doing the same old thing, expecting better results.

Our short term trend line in corn is down and everyone wants to blame the weather.

May 27 isn't too bad either.  We had nice little shower but it is still cool in Ohio.

Either way, a Blessed Memorial Day to you all.  Visit a cemetery and honor our dead.  Freedom isn't free.

Ed

5 comments:

  1. My seed dealer has more acres of nongmo beans this year then last. I have two neighbors planting some-all there beans nongmo and both asked me how I liked mine last year. They have asked me chem recommendations too.

    If we lose our premium and local delivery it wouldn't be as attractive as it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As more consumers try to avoid GMO's, I think the pressure will be to drop them. Monsanto, of course, is responding by trying to make heirloom seeds illegal. (At least I've HEARD they're part of that movement.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the moderators took the discussion I linked to on Crop Talk down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Brad. So far we have had some freedom in expressing our ideas but some have been put down for good reason and others make the average person wonder why?

    ReplyDelete