Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Finally

We finally got some good planting weather in southwest Ohio this week.  Everyone is going full tilt from what I can tell and I know I am tired after just a few hard days. 

I finally got some Apex soybeans planted from Keith Schlapkohl's farm in eastern Iowa.  I also planted a bunch of yellow hilum soybeans for the export market.  As woolly as some fields are around here I was thinking about my glyphosate post yesterday and how easy it would be to follow a Round Up Ready or Liberty Link system in Ohio this year.

Farming non GMO is just like going back to the early 90's chemical wise.  The labels and products have changed but we still pretty much have the same chemistry available as we did before Round Up Ready.  I have some fields that need a residual on before the next rain and I haven't even checked the weather yet.  It is pretty again here this morning so far and we did not get some of the predicted showers.

"Authority/Spartan contains the single active ingredient sulfentrazone. Authority/Spartan controls certain broadleaves, so tank mix to broaden control spectrum or use within a planned pre followed by post herbicide program. Do not apply Authority/Apartan if soybeans have emerged, otherwise severe crop injury will result. There are several other products that contain sulfentrazone such as, Authority Assist (Authority + Pursuit); Authority First (Authority + FirstRate); Authority MTZ (Authority + metribuzin); Authority XL (Authority + Classic) and Spartan Charge (Authority + Aim)."

I double inoculated this year as I have fields that are new to me and the fields I know from the past really respond to heavy rates of the new competitive strains of rhizobium.  I had Excalibre installed on the seed and topped the drill and planter with more GraphEx.  With all the lime I got on last month, I hope to build some big and healthy nodules that are blood red and pumping out nitrogen.

The soil has planted really nice but it is still wet underneath, I planted them as shallow as a half an inch while making sure I got all the beans covered.  There are very few beans on top of the ground and if it keeps raining like predicted they will all come up anyway.

It would be sweet if I could harvest a good crop in October and follow the combine with wheat or a cover crop mix to hold the soil and build the healthy organisms like I have in the past.  I've done what I can do so far, the rest is up to God.

He has never let me down though I am quite capable of letting Him down if I am not careful.

In one short month we could be cutting wheat and planting double crop soybeans.  I hope these "early" beans make about 20 bushels more than the double crop but I am shooting for over 50 bushel an acre on both.

Ed Winkle



2 comments:

  1. Ed good to hear you are able to move in the fields. I am curious how thick you decided to plant your apex soybeans as wall as your row spacing. I know whem I talked with Richard Cooper about production practices on his semi-dwarf lines he suggested solid seeding (7.5" rows) at a population of 300000+. Have you guys in ohio developed a different establishment plan?

    Stay safe. Being tired can lead to accidents.

    David Seck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well David, I planted them thicker than I would any other bean. I tried some 200k plus passes, 200, 180, 160. I like a final stand of 140k on most be3ans but these aren't most beans.

    Now the trick is to feed them vegetatively until flowering then feed them reproductively after.

    It's all in Jeff's FHR Fertility Handbook. That is quite a manual, I think everyone should read it, especially before they start asking questions.

    Ed Winkle

    ReplyDelete