Sunday, May 26, 2013

Every Person

"Every person deserves the right to a good name."  I heard that this morning from a priest speaking on my favorite Catholic radio channel.  That sentence really struck me

All I have is my good name and we have all pretty well trashed it at times.  I personally  do not need any help in doing that..  Two times in the last 13 years two anonymous posters pretty well took me down to bare bones when they posted something really blasphemous about another person who posts there.  I thought I knew they were talking about me.  They had too many facts that seemed to apply to me.

They had too many assumptions, too.  They knew only a little part of me and my behavior or whoever they were talking about, not the whole person.  How could they pen something so poisonous they knew so little about?

I did enough wrong that I assumed I deserved it, accepted it and took my medicine.  It cut to the bone sometimes but such is life.  This may not be the kind of person I wanted to be known as.  Some days we can't help ourselves so we need external help.

Are you a taker or maker?  Are you a builder upper or a tearer downer?  Too often I have let myself fall into the wrong category.

No wonder I hate gossip.  It does no good.  It might seem like fun at the time but every person really does deserve the right to their good name!  Is what we say good for that moment or good for everyone concerned?

We watched a piece on Life On The Rock that showed how much some are giving for our freedom.  It is the story of Fr. Brian Kane as an Army Major Chaplain.  That is good to remember this Memorial Day weekend in America.

I hope you enjoy it and I wish you all a Blessed Weekend.

Ed Winkle

2 comments:

  1. We ALL have a little tweaking to do on our characters, Ed, but we have the comfort of knowing we have the Lord's grace. Incidentally, "Anonymous" is a spammer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get grace I feel I didn't even earn, Gorges. At least that keeps me trying harder!

    I know you don't like anonymous posters but I still haven't turned the switch off. I just keep deleting them as I find them.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete