Monday, April 29, 2013

Nitrogen On Soybeans

I saw another great question on Crop Talk this morning, how much nitrogen do soybeans need?  Do you apply any nitrogen to soybeans?

"The soybean needs 4-6 lbs nitrogen per bushel depending on your soil which depends where you are at.


The best bang for the buck I ever found was inoculation. The ABM strains have worked best for me. Every good soybean grower I know uses something like that.

The next thing is we don't feed enough nutrients to our soybeans. How does your soil provide the 17 known and needed nutrients would be my question to you.  We in agriculture tend to over feed nitrate and under feed everything else.

Not knowing anything about you or your conditions I would say that MAP has given me good N for soybeans. AMS has also. I want my soil around 50 lbs nitrate when planting soybeans, that's a 100 ppm but I have high yield goals and I am trying to feed everything else with it.

If you are N deficient, a post of 15-3-3 plus micros has done really well for me to get plant height to set nodes. This would be late planting for me which we are looking at, or double crop or old farms that haven't been taken care of.

If you have done your background work and have plant heigtht, then you need less nitrate and more of everything else.  To make one recommendation for you not knowing this background would not be wise of me.

I am looking for balance of nutrient in my soybeans and getting better but not there yet.  Every field is different.

For my non farming friends, some of us are trying to figure out how to raise the most healthy crops to our food system, yet they must be profitable.

Does this make sense to you?

Ed Winkle

5 comments:

  1. Fall or spring or preplant applied AMS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, we need to learn to spread our feed out a little more.

    I like a little at harvest, 50-100 lb and anothe feed at planting, 50-100 lb. I am trying to feed the microbes that release nitrogen all year long.

    If I am feeding a crop, I will go as high as 200 lbs if the tissue test showed an imbalance in N to S or other elements I think might benefit from it.

    John Haggard got me to spreading more AMS and I see the results.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to developing websites and I was wondering if having your site title related to your content really that vital?
    I see your title, "Blogger: HyMark High Spots " does seem to be spot on with what your website is about but yet, I prefer to keep my title less content descriptive and based more around site branding.
    Would you think this is a good idea or bad idea? Any assistance would
    be greatly appreciated.

    My web page ... types

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete