Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fuel Problems

Fuel line problems brought combining corn to screeching hault Wednesday night.  After an exhaustive search, the crew found the grommet on the fuel line return to the fuel tank had slipped out of its seat and let a few pounds of dirt suck into the tank.  100 gallons of contaminated fuel had to be pumped out and everything cleaned up to get it running again.

I imagine vibration causes the grommet to vibrate out of its seat but you have to wonder if the grommet is the right material and size to do the job.  Isn't it always amazing how a 69 cent part puts a $400,000 machine out of business?  That's farming, that's machinery and that is how breakdowns work sometimes, or don't work.

Corn yields are coming in pretty flat with too many weeds and too much damage that week of the heat.  I think there will be some insurance claims around here.  There will be some in soybeans, too, but much less than corn.  The wheat that has emerged looks good and I think we have more planted around here than the last two falls.

I am hoping this storm stays out in the ocean more than hitting the coast.  That would be good for everybody.  The Northeast sure doesn't need a big storm with floods and power outages and we don't need any "goose drowner's" around here.  There is a lot of corn out in the fields yet and a few fields of soybeans.  Fall seeding is pretty well over with unless we can drill some more rye in and the storms don't dump too much water on us.  The ditches are still dry so that's a good sign but one inch more and they will be running.

How did you like my Karate picture yesterday?  I am surprised I have no comments on it here or Facebook.  Her feet got cold taking that picture because I demanded no shoes and she complied!

The 85th National FFA Convention is history today.  I don't like that they added in the words Expo after National FFA Convention during the secretary's roll call in opening ceremonies.  Looks like they had a great convention again though, with nearly 53,000 registered.  I am sure Matthew and all of the other advisors there will be glad to get home tonight!

LuAnn said last night we ought to go to the 100th.  Let's see, I would only be 77 years old.  I asked if she would be able to push my wheelchair!  God willing we could be there or not.  Either way is OK.

What would you good folks like to talk about next week?

Ed



No comments:

Post a Comment