Saturday, September 8, 2012

New Dairy


This is a feel good story that many people liked in the Cafe. No it is not one of those mega Dutch dairies that went up in Ohio and across the land, it is the story of father helping his 19 year old son start a small dairy.

"Sorry no pics yet,kinda busy today. He is starting small with 27 milking and 13 to come in soon. He is 19 years and loves milking cows and caring for them. First milking is tonight at 5.30. Wish us both the best of luck!!"

We don't have much information, but enough to say Hooray! People like to hear of small farms starting in this day of megafarms and some people actually blaming them for their food!

I liked this story because I know many have considered the same thing to get started farming. I really studied starting my own dairy but I was far enough along in teaching by the time I figured out how to that I would have taken a big drop in income to do it and a new business is always risky.

I sure remember milking cows by hand and my first 4-H project was a very fine Holstein heifer that one many prizes. She wasn't a great milker but she produced many fine calves. One male calf I raised as a steer and got a check for it for $1300 which was a whole pile of money for a kid on a tenant farm in the early 60's.

I wanted to buy a John Deere 70 diesel for sale nearby but dad knew that might keep me from making it to college so he nixed the deal and the money went to the college fund. The feed was his anyway, I just helped produce it.

I saw a John Deere 70 today that looked like that one at the Clinton County Corn Festival. My favorite though was a Super 88 and Oliver 77 shown by Richard Smith of Blanchester. He yelled out, do you like those tractors? He knew I did so he just razzed me a little.

There were 100 or so nice tractors on the grounds today and I enjoyed looking at them. I did find 4 nice pedal tractors though, all of which I would like to own; an AC WD-45, and wide front end IH, White and AGCO pedal tractors. I could buy them all for less than a $1000 which isn't too bad for nice pedal tractors.

We finished the day at Grove City for Ariana's first birthday party. A good time was enjoyed by all, as they say.

Ed

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am a food blogger, and lover of all things dairy. Recently I was asked to be a part of a tour of Ohio dairy farms, this was hosted by American Dairy Assoc. Mideast. I am working on a family/dairy friendly post for my blog and have come up lacking in pictures of the beautiful Ohio country side. Was wondering If you would mind if I used your picture above, I would give credit to you of course. I am hoping to wrap up my article by the weekend so if you could email me back at sheila@eat2gather.net as soon as possible I would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete