Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mud Pies

Do you remember making mud pies as a child?  I do and I think my sister will too.  Lots of farmers made mud pies in their crop fields this spring across the US.

Our daughter Becky showed this picture of our grandchildren making mud pies of themselves near Lake Erie, the place where all the algae is.  I really liked it so I included it today.  You can easily tell our daughter doesn't mind a little dirt in exchange for childhood memories.  That almost makes me wallow in the mud myself though that would be the picture of a fat hog in mud.

Do you have mud pies or dry soil?  We have been a little wet all spring so planting is just finishing up in southwest Ohio and most fields can be rowed now.  That's a lot better than we were a month ago.

My friends in Iowa and Minnesota are fighting to even have a crop.  Many acres will be not be planted because the Preventive Planting insurance pays better than the possible risk of planting in these areas.  Still, a farmer plants and most my friends will plant until it is way to late and take their learning curve blows as they happen.  That's what farmers do is plant but insurance has changed that a little in recent years.

One fellow even asked about mudding in beans with a drill versus the row unit pressure of a corn planter.  That's how wet it is in many parts of the midwest.  We had a light shower last night, just enough to keep me from planting my last 10 acres.

City people may not like our mud pies on the farm.  We can't help it, we have to like them, they are a part of life.  Relations with neighbors can be a problem so today I am thankful we have good neighbors.  They like our mud pies and understand country life.

My advice today is if Mother Nature throws too much rain at you today, make a mud pie!

Ed

1 comment: